Monday, May 04, 2009

Party in the House

Arman's First Birthday Part 1: The Real Deal

The first in a series of birthday-related celebrations took place on April 23rd (Arman's actual birthday) at my parents' home in Horseheads, NY. It was an impromptu mini-party. I had been so consumed with the details for his celebration on Saturday, that I figured we'd just postpone the celebrating for a couple of days. But when Thursday arrived, it felt wrong not to make the day a little extra special. We asked S, Jeff and the kids to drop by. Grandma could make it too. Grandpa would drive in after work. Poof! Instant party.

I love this expression. Manu catches a glipse of Grandpa Parvez as he walks through the front door. "This guys looks awfully familiar."



That's cause it's like looking into the future, kid.


"Whoaaa."


"Excuse me! You said there would be cake here!"



And there was. After all, it's never a party without sugar. That morning we ordered a cake from A Step Above.




A taste-test.



"Yeah. I'm gonna need a fork for that".



"Just gotta lean into it."



"Bigger pieces, please!!!"



Finally, a distraction. Grandma brings in a cuddly teddy bear. Time for presents!



He's not particularly dainty with the unwrapping.



Such a cute, preppy outfit from his cousins Jordan and Mina!



"Snazzy sweater vest, mom but did you see the AWESOME BOX?!"



It was a sweet and simple time. There's something great about an unplanned party. When you're not worried about the nitty gritty, you can really focus what parties are really about; sharing a joyous occaision with the people you love most. Of course, because I can't help myself, we had a big to-do (two acutually) on Saturday and Sunday with the party outfits and posed photos (stay-tuned for more pics!). Boy, there was a lotta love that weekend. Arman's a lucky little guy.
And speaking of love, how in-love am I with the custom wrapping paper designed by my favorite niece and nephew (also seen here)?! I'm keeping it forever.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dying re: "looking into the future, kid." comment. OMG.

S