Monday, July 23, 2007

Becoming the Old Man

Funny thing happened the other day and I thought I'd share...

Tahera and I were backing out of the garage with me at the wheel, when some punk kid buzzes by the back of the car on his bmx. After dislodging the brake pedal from the floorboard and triple checking that there weren't any of his hoodlum friends coming down the pipeline, I backed out the rest of the way and started past our house.
It's at this point that I notice the little bastard cruising down my damn lawn! He slowed to a near standstill at the steepest dropoff, planning out his sweet jump.
So I stop the car, roll down the window and instantly become a 90 year old man.

"Yo!" I yell, incredulous and at a loss for anything more coherent.
The punk stops and looks back up the hill in confusion...
"Offa da lawwn" I signal with an annoyed hand gesture.
At this point, the little shit has the nerve, after trampling what little green lawn I have, to give me attitude! "Sorry.." he says, in a nasal tone that means he's anything but...
"yeah, Thanks." I reply, mirroring his message, and eyeing him till he's on the sidewalk..


Whatever you weasel. You're not sorry and I'm not grateful. Just stay offa my damn lawn or next time I'll beat you with my walker.

Now that some time has passed, the absurdity of what transpired has sunk in. If I were that kid (and hell, I was that kid once..), I would've said the exact same thing, in exactly that tone. I guess there's something about having a house. Your own castle. That last bastion of privacy, that turns you into a raving lunatic control-freak.
Which reminds me... I've gotta mow that lawn. Don't wanna be a slovenly raving lunatic control-freak...

5 comments:

Dennis said...

Riz,you mean there were kids outside having fun? And you were cranky with that?
Sounds like a certain person I know that would have had the same reaction as you and then got the "Oh, they are just having fun you cranky old man!"
Sound familiar??!?!
-Dennis

Riz said...

lol, I have no idea what came over me!

Unknown said...

hysterical.

What I am waiting for is whether you'll continue your "pink robe on the driveway" habit now that you have your own castle.

Dennis said...

"pink robe on the driveway" habit...? Is there something you need to talk about Riz?

Unknown said...

Why is it that I can SEE this in my mind, even the hand jesture?!